Thursday 23 June 2011

nina simone - flo me la

i picked up a number of records a while back and one was this nina simone live album which i would have passed it up but something drew me to it. probably since nina simone is all awesome but i don't really know much of her back catalogue. the track most people know is 'feeling good' because of it's famous intro and then maybe 'sinnerman' and the usual classics 'my baby just cares for me', 'don't let me be misunderstood' & 'i put a spell on you'. i like her work however and she has a unique voice and i love when she breakdown in sinnerman and just does her version of scatting.

this track is a jam session i think and it opens up the b-side of the record. it doesn't appear in any other form on any of her other albums and the whole improvisational nature of the track along with it's frantic percussive midsection leads me to the idea that it's a live jam. it starts off slow with nina saying "flo flo flo me la" and that becomes the mantra and the main melody and then it picks up steam fast. the whole album is quite a gem and i've been listening to it a lot the last couple of days and it's well recommended but this track and her rendition of folk song 'lil liza jane' is top picks of the album

buy here (7digital) | grooveshark

No comments: