Tuesday 23 August 2011

arvid - try

this one sprung up on me through my gonkyburg infatuation but also when naked music was one of my favourite labels. i heard the fenomenen rendition on astralwerks' naked music showcase "bare essentials vol. 2" and there i was fascinated with the vocal and the drumprogramming. it was around the time i also discovered broken beats and i really like that kind of bump.

the track is a joint effort between arvid niklasson of plej and ernesto (jonathan bäckelie). the original was introduced to me later and i thought the track was simple but effective but it was that vocal that held up the track.

i emailed bäckelie a few years ago about this track and it's lyrics and he told me that the vocal was for the most unplanned. the only part written down in advance was the bridge and the rest was improvised. he also said that he never done it like that before and the reason it was released was because that take was brilliant.

this is truly one of my favourite record and i cherish my vinyl of it. i've played and supported all versions of the track and will continue with that for a long time. lance desardi's version with a chunky bassline and lovely sounds always goes down nicely. the fenomenen version with it's sharp drums and killer piano break halfway through is lovely. andy caldwell's 80's flashback with the repeated vocal fragment saying "free i" is perfect for those 4am moments.

yeah i really love this track and i honestly go and on about this track but i'll stop here. also note that naked music mixed up the titling with the lance desardi/landshark version and andy caldwell's dub. it was like that on the actual record and they haven't fixed when they put it up digital.

buy here (junodigital)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi. Can you post the text, I have issues with recognizing the lyric in this song.

Ty.

Dub said...

Sure, to me it's these lyrics:

Try, I'll try to bring me right down to the bottom, I scream right down,
I don't wanna, must I, have to try now can't you see that i lie in your,
Your face, when i must break free I can't take it, no more, say it
How come, say what I'll do, just woke up, just live by, just be mine, all right
Wanna try, wanna do, can't I break free when i don't wanna get down with me
Don't want to try unless you do it too, now can't you try

Now can't you try...
Now can't you...

Try, I'll try to bring me right down to the bottom, I scream right down,
I don't wanna, must I, have to try now can't you see that i lie in your,
Your face, when i must break free I can't take it, no more, say it
How come, say what I'll do, just woke up, just live by, just be mine, it's all right
Want to try, wan't to do, can't I break free when i don't wanna get down with me
Don't want to try unless you do it too, now can't you...

Baby I don't wanna get with you if you play my emotions like that
Listen, let me tell you the truth of the face that I see now
You were beautiful once to me, now I don't know

Baby I don't wanna get with you if you play my emotions like that
I don't want to try unless you'll do it too
Baby I don't wanna get with you if you play my emotions like that
I don't want to try unless you'll do it too, now will you?

Manu said...

Great song, so truth, 2015 and Im still in love with Naked Music.