Monday 19 November 2012

jori hulkkonen - you're my excuse for being me

"you're my excuse for being me" is one of my favourites from jori hulkkonen and first time i heard it was by recommendation from a friend. first of all the title itself is brilliant as a statement but it brings a different dimension with the mood that the track is expressing. it's sort of romantic but more bittersweet and it's really conveyed by the strings throughout the track.

the reason this track got into my head again was when i wrote about rinneradio's "atlandisk". i was talking to my friend jamey since she also likes electronic music from finnish producers and acts. the conversation swiftly headed into jori hulkkonen's music as she had purchased "when no one is watching we are invisible", which includes "let me luv u" and other brilliant tracks. i mentioned that "you're my excuse for being me" was one of my favourite hulkkonen tracks and wanted her to hear it. her opinion about the track was that she didn't think it was anything special but that it was good. i swiftly disagree, i think it's drop dead gorgeous.

hulkkonen's knack for making warm technohouse comes through with the long intro which leads into a really bumping groove. however that this track is more ambiance than dancefloor but i have no question that it would work in a club, given a right placement. you probably have to play it with song that works harmonically but the payoff with the melodic aspect will bring a difference to the soundtrack of the club.

buy here (junodownload)

No comments: