Friday 19 April 2013

dido - sand in my shoes (steve lawler's we love ibiza mix)

one of my favourites of 2004 was this one and it followed "stoned" with it's amazing deep dish remixes that i loved deeply. the lead single for dido's second album "life for rent" was "white flag", which i liked but yunno it wasn't a "here with me" or a "hunter". also in the equation was that the scumfrog's remix "white flag" left little to offer and usually i was all over scumfrog's remixes & productions at the time. it felt like a lesser version of the remix for iio's "at the end" which i love and i would play it over this.

basically those deep dish remix of "stoned" was my darlings and then the second or third single "sand in my shoes" came around and i loved the original version. along with it there was a whole slew of remixes were to offer from the likes of the dab hands, the beginerz, filterheadz, above & beyond, rollo & mark bates and of course steve lawler. safe to say that there wasn't a bad version in the package really and depending on what your poison was in the 124 to 136 bpm region, there was a specific cut for each own.

for me it was all about steve lawler's chunky house remix even though most of the trance heads like me geared towards above & beyond and filterheadz remixes. i know that i didn't properly hear the beginerz remix until several years later and chances are that it would have been my favourite had i just taken a closer listen. it would have grabbed me on the use of the bongo drums from the original and the acidline in the second half of the song.

what it didn't have though was a monster of a bassline that lawler and pete lorimer worked into their remix. it was love at first sight and the music really blew my mind... all jokes aside though i banged this out in so many sets that year and the following years but it also infuriated me. lawler probably made his remix for his residency at we love-music's events on infamous eivissan club space as it's referenced in the remix title (and a few other of his remix titles).

i did not have the pleasure of doing that as i played out from my bedroom and it was at a time i had no patience for lengthy breakdowns in my sets. however i still loved the tune and the chunky parts from the other side of the breakdown. the middle section stripped it down to eventually just dido's vocal and the acoustic guitar from the original. you hear a verse and the hook and for my own listening pleasure it was a delight with it and the especially whole full eleven and a half minutes.

that midsection is brilliant on a hot summer day in the balearic islands but i played for a limited number of people and i wanted to bang out the parts with that bassline. so i took a drastic decision of doing an edit where i cut out about a third of the song, including most of the vocals sans the first verse. to some extent i think it's stupid in retrospect as i do like the original song and i could have easily played the beginerz remix as it would have worked as well.

part of me thinks i really should have done that but i still feel my edited version went above the beginerz well done remix. because as much i love "sand in my shoes" steve lawler & pete lorimer's remix wasn't about that in my ears, it was about that bassline.

buy here (itunes)

also i know that because of it's length, it's album only and fuck knows does that infuriate me as well but i own the tune so i don't care that much.

No comments: